Gingerbread. . .
It is dark, and moist.
Warm with seasonal spices.
Makes me think of holidays past. Every time I bake it.
This loaf is a little dressed up.
Has an essence of orange.
The tang of mascarpone.
Looks real pretty sliced on your Christmas platter.
Wrapped in ribbon.
Gifted to friends and those that matter.
Enjoy and share the Gingerbread goodness.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter,at room tempature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 1tsp orange extract
- 21/2-3 cups powdered sugar.
- Candied ginger pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan or 2 7x2.5 disposable bake pans with baking spray. you can line loaf pan with parchment paper if you like.Leave the sides long so you can lift out the loaf.
- In medium size bowl cream butter and sugars until fluffy. beat in the egg and orange extract. Blend in applesauce.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, flour,salt soda,ginger,cinnamon and cloves. Add slowly while mixing to wet ingredients/batter.When fully incoporated, pour into prepared pan/pans,smooth out top.
- If using disposable pans place on cookie sheet before placing in oven. Place in preheated oven and bake for 55 minutes. Bread is done when inserted toothpick comes out clean...start checking at 55 minutes as ovens vary.Remove from pans after cooling for 10 minutes. When completely cooled go ahead and frost. Cream mascarpone cheese with orange extract, slowly mix in sifted powdered sugar slowly until achieves frosting consistency. You will want it pretty thick.Frost loaf with a heavy hand. Sprinkle top with candied ginger pieces.
- Frosting makes a lot: could halve recipe.
- These make great gifts and are easily packaged.
- Freeze well.frost after thawing though.