Sometimes you just want a muffin. That was me yesterday.
That is why these happened.
Do you need a muffin? Then these are for you, my friend.
- 13/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter room temp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lg egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk or cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh fruit or 1 cup frozen
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar...to sprinkle on muffin top.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place muffin cups in a 12 cup muffin tin or spray with no stick baking spray.
- Place dry ingredients in medium bowl and whisk.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, egg yolk, vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with milk, ending with flour.
- Using spoon mix in berries gently.
- Use ice cream scoop and put one scoop in each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with coarse sugar or sanding sugar...as much or as little as you want.
- Place muffins in oven and bake 5 minutes then turn oven down to 375 degrees for 20 minutes,
- Do not open oven! Just lower the temp. This will give your muffin a perfect crown.
- I used half and half instead of milk...we have non fat milk.
- Using an ice cream scoop to measure out the batter helps to have them all be a uniform size.
- You can use any kind of berries or fruit in this batter. Just use 1 cup if using frozen fruit and don't thaw it.
- You can also change the flavor by changing out the vanilla for almond or some other flavoring. I would start out at 1 tsp though and add as you taste so it isn't too strong.
- Don't add the sugar on top if you don't like it. I just happen to love a good muffin top.