I found this recipe some 30 odd years ago … oh my that was a long time ago. It was on a Cool Whip bowl, you know how you can flip up the piece of cardboard on the lid and on the back side they always have a recipe? Yep…that is where it originally started.
I have changed it so many times it doesn’t even have Cool Whip in it anymore.
I think I was making dinner for a date or something important like that. So of course I wanted to impress. Not sure who that dinner was made for, so he must not have been that impressive, but the cheesecake impressed me and still does.
There is beauty in having a simple and versatile recipe in your arsenal…you never know when you might need to impress…or you have a craving.
So mix it up,make it your own and enjoy each sweet bite.
- Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 8ounce pkgs cream cheese (at room temp)
- 21 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- In medium bowl mix graham cracker crumbs with sugar, pour melted butter on top and mix it all together. Crumbs should adhere to one another. place in the bottom of a 10 inch spring form pan with the bottom lightly greased and press it down tight.Then you can cool in fridge for 1 hour and then fill or you can bake for 8 minutes,cool and then fill. Whichever you prefer.
- In medium bowl mix cream cheese till creamy, then mix in the sweetened condensed milk along with the lemon and vanilla.mix should be thick and smooth. Pour on to cooled crust and place in fridge for at least four hours.Top with cherry pie filling when ready to serve.
- This is such a versatile recipe. Simple to change up, use a chocolate or brownie crust either would work well with the simple filling.You can use pie fillings for toppings or use fresh fruit when you have it on hand.